The Board meets on the first and third Monday of each month. Meetings begin at 1:00 p.m. and are held in the department conference room at 65 Lafayette Ave, Littleton. Board meetings are open to the public and time is allotted for public comments at each meeting.
The regularly scheduled Board of Commissioners (BOC) meeting began at 1:00 p.m. in the Littleton Water and Light (LWL) conference room. Present were Commissioner Eddy Moore, Commissioner Perry Goodell, Commissioner Ralph Ross, Financial Director Cheryl Wilkins, Administrative Assistant Sharon Hampson and Superintendent Thomas Considine.
The minutes of the November 21, 2016 regularly scheduled Commissioners meeting were reviewed. Commissioner Ross made a motion to accept the minutes as presented, seconded by Commissioner Goodell.
The vote was in favor of the motion 3-0-0.
SUPERINTENDENT/ GENERAL MANAGERS REPORT:
1. Superintendent Considine stated that he is a member of a review committee tasked with selecting an engineering firm to design the Littleton River District project on Saranac and Mill Street. Several firms had shown interest in participating in this project.
2. Following the previous BOC meeting where the circumstance of an unauthorized water service connection was discovered a letter was mailed to the resident of 47 Wing Road in Bethlehem. The letter contained the BOC decision and detailed a plan that the homeowner needs to comply with to maintain water service and good standing with LWL.
3. The date for the LWL Christmas luncheon has been set for Wednesday, December 14th at 1:00 p.m. A Yankee swap function is planned for those that choose to participate.
4. Auditors from Vachon Clukay are schedule to certify LWLís physical inventory totals on December 15, 2016. A random sampling and verification of the major inventory items are expected.
5. LWL personnel repaired a water leak on the ten (10) inch main just north of Bethlehem Hollow last week and a second, though smaller leak was discovered on December 2, 2016. The slope that this section of the water main is buried in slid/moved down towards the river taking the water main with it. The earth movement caused several of the lead packed joints in this section to loosen and a leak developed. This area is on LWL schedule to replace, logistic and accessibility challenges are hindering full replacement efforts.
6. NH Department of Environmental Services will be inspecting the water system on Tuesday, December 6, 2016 for compliance with reporting and sanitary standard in accordance with federal and state public health and safety guidelines. The inspection will involve a review of LWL monthly reporting procedures, operator record logs and a physical inspection of each LWL site from intake to end user.
GENERAL/ OTHER BUSINESS:
1. The BOC reviewed and discussed a letter received from Glenwood Cemetery requesting water abatement that resulted from a substantial leak.
The BOC agreed that an exception to policy was warranted in this case and authorized full credit (typically treatment cost are deducted before applying credit.) for this event only. Future event will be treated in accordance with LWL policy and past practice.
2. The BOC reviewed and discussed a draft of the 2017 water operating budget. Several discrepancies as compared to the 2015 actuals were discussed and explained by Mrs. Wilkins and Superintendent Considine.
3. Commissioner Goodell asked how much longer LWL had remaining on the slow sand filter loan with the NHDES.
Superintendent Considine stated that the loan period was for twenty (20) years and that there was five (5) years remaining.
4. Commissioner Ross asked about replacement of the water trucks and that truck repair expenses appear to be increasing.
Superintendent Considine stated that truck 10, a 2008 1-ton plow truck was due though he was hesitant to recommend another vehicle replacement as a new line truck should be delivered in the first quarter of 2017.
Commissioner Goodell made a motion to adjourn the meeting, seconded by
The vote was in favor of the motion 3-0-0.
Meeting adjourned at 2:00 p.m.
The regularly scheduled Commissionerís meeting is held twice monthly on the first and third Monday, at 1:00 p.m., in the Departmentís conference room.